Thursday, August 4, 2011

CCG# 203 'Uniquely You'

Hi everyone! 
This week, over at the Color Combos Galore, the palette was a dreamy, subtle, delicious mix of blues, teals, and tans.


The challenge this week was to use vellum or some other translucent object in your project.

I couldn't find a mix of paper and embellies that worked for the palette and challenge, so I created a mixed media piece (12x12 canvas) using the palette and challenge for inspiration.

Firstly, I covered a 12 x 12 canvas with 7 gypsies tissue paper (can you say LOVE??), using a gel medium (mod podge works wonderfully). I let it dry completely.

Then, I added some gray and white paint to the canvas with a brayer, for a light, random covering.
You can see the little snippets of the tissue paper sneaking thru the gray and white paint.


To create the dimensional background, I colored glass bead paste (my translucent object) with regular acrylic paint (matching the palette). I stenciled it on the canvas using a vintage plastic doily. (which BTW is one of my FAVE new findings...love it with mist, paste, inks, paint, etc - The possibilities are endless.) (the paste is made by Liquitex)


This is the pattern that was left when I removed the plastic doily from the canvas. When the paste dries, the beads appear and create an awesome texture. I brayered (again) with white paint randomly over the canvas. You can see where the white paint collected on the beads.

For more texture, I added more paint, using a circle stencil and several rubber stamps. I also stamped (with Staz-On ink) more texture and added rub-ons and the random doodling here and there.

For the title, I painted a chipboard title with acrylic paint, then added some yummy German glitter glass to the wet paint.
 


I then added the picture, flowers, and a little bit of twine to finish it off.



The little girl in the picture is actually the daughter of a co-worker.  He and his wife graciously allow me to create beautiful projects with his gorgeous daughter as inspiration.




Stay tuned tomorrow for some sneaky peeks of the August Little Black Dress kit.  It is SUPER FAB!

Have a great night.



12 comments:

sandi said...

wow Tina this is just gorgeous! Whan amazing texture. The mix is perfect! Love this!

Jasmine S said...

I don't think I can begin to tell you how amazingly fabulous I think this is. My gosh, you have blown me away. Please please can I get a lesson from you.....lol.

Tanya Tahir said...

Tina, the background is simply amazing!! I love the texture in this and the little girl in the photo is beautiful, great pic :)

Eila Sandberg said...

My goodness Tina! I think you have outdone yourself with this superduper craftylicious page! I say wow and wow again, the texture!!

Fran Brunke said...

Incredible beauty. Love all the crunchy textures, especially the stancilled glass bead paste. Reminds me of a lovely sand dollar in the sand.

Lilith said...

This is so awesome. Just love your page!

Susan Stringfellow said...

ok I am going to have to have some glass bead paste, that is fantastic! and a vintage plastic doily sounds pretty darn cool! LOVE the close ups and thanks for the details.

scrapbookertink said...

This is amazing, I think everyone has already said what I wanted to say LOL, off to the craft shop for supplies (groan I hear DH say) have a fantastic week and thanks for the inspiration byeeee x

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous layout! I'm visiting from CCG & I love your technique. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Linda
http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

Helen Tilbury said...

Goodness me you are talented! Why am I only finding this out now?? Gosh I wish I had more time to blog hop - then I would have checked this awesome blog out sooner!!!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

Tina, this looks amazing!! You have totally inspired me! I've got all these little beads I just bought recently, what a great way to use them. Gorgeous gorgeous work!
Melissa

maya said...

c'est magnifique !! et les couleurs sont très belles !!

bravo !

12 comments:

sandi said...

wow Tina this is just gorgeous! Whan amazing texture. The mix is perfect! Love this!

Jasmine S said...

I don't think I can begin to tell you how amazingly fabulous I think this is. My gosh, you have blown me away. Please please can I get a lesson from you.....lol.

Tanya Tahir said...

Tina, the background is simply amazing!! I love the texture in this and the little girl in the photo is beautiful, great pic :)

Eila Sandberg said...

My goodness Tina! I think you have outdone yourself with this superduper craftylicious page! I say wow and wow again, the texture!!

Fran Brunke said...

Incredible beauty. Love all the crunchy textures, especially the stancilled glass bead paste. Reminds me of a lovely sand dollar in the sand.

Lilith said...

This is so awesome. Just love your page!

Susan Stringfellow said...

ok I am going to have to have some glass bead paste, that is fantastic! and a vintage plastic doily sounds pretty darn cool! LOVE the close ups and thanks for the details.

scrapbookertink said...

This is amazing, I think everyone has already said what I wanted to say LOL, off to the craft shop for supplies (groan I hear DH say) have a fantastic week and thanks for the inspiration byeeee x

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous layout! I'm visiting from CCG & I love your technique. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Linda
http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

Helen Tilbury said...

Goodness me you are talented! Why am I only finding this out now?? Gosh I wish I had more time to blog hop - then I would have checked this awesome blog out sooner!!!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

Tina, this looks amazing!! You have totally inspired me! I've got all these little beads I just bought recently, what a great way to use them. Gorgeous gorgeous work!
Melissa

maya said...

c'est magnifique !! et les couleurs sont très belles !!

bravo !