Thursday, October 6, 2011

TREE.....

I thought it would be fun to show you an easy way to change up your photos, for a different, versatile look.

Using the following color/design palette for my layout, I was inspired by the fabric of the bedspread and pillows. I love the feel and look of fabric and ribbon on layouts, but I really wanted a simple, yet different look on my page. So, I printed my photo on basic muslin fabric and frayed the edges for a worn, vintage look.


Here’s how…..

First, print your photo on a regular sheet of paper. I always mark the front edge of the paper for reference, so that when I place the paper back in the printer, it is facing the right way.
Next, I cut a piece of fabric the size I want for my finished piece. In this example, I printed a 5x7 picture and my fabric piece is slightly larger than the photo.
Muslin or any light weight, lightly colored fabric should work. If the photo doesn’t print as clear as you want, try a different type of fabric.
I also like a frayed edge to my fabric, so I snip a slit in the end and rip the edge, instead of cutting it with scissors.

Next, adhere the fabric on top of the printed photo, aligning it where you want it to print. Make sure your adhesive is strong enough to go thru the printer. I used my ATG for this and it works well. It might even help to tape the edges down so the paper and fabric go thru the printer easier.
Now, place your paper (with the printed picture) and fabric back into your printer. Make sure you refer to the marking you made earlier so that you load the paper in the right way. Print! 

Carefully remove the tape and fabric from your paper.

Here is a picture of both the photo (printed on paper – as my template), and the photo printed on fabric.
For this example, I used a light weight (almost gauze type) fabric, so you can see how it looks on a thin, almost transparent fabric. For my layout, I used a light weight muslin material. (see below)

To finish mine off, I frayed the edges a little more and adhered it my page. I used basic tape runner adhesive underneath, but stitched the outer edges for a different look.

Here are some close-ups.






I hope you try this easy and fun idea on your next layout.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

This is so cool! I must try!!!

Milagros C. Rivera said...

What an outstanding page Tina, so in love with your tecnique, i had done it with canvas but never with muslim, have to give it a try!

Karen said...

I have never tried this Tina but I certainly will be now! Love what you have created and the layout is stunning!

sandi said...

Wow! This is very cool looking! Love what you did with the pic!

Helen Tilbury said...

What a cool idea Tina - I must definitely give this one a go - thanks for sharing - very beautiful layout you did with it too!!

beckyjune said...

I happened upon your blog through the Paper Bakery blog and wanted to tell you that your work is fantastic! I found myself adding some of your things to Pinterest. Have a great day!

Eila Sandberg said...

Totally agree with you about the printing in fabric, have tried it myself but on canvas. The effect on muslin is really fab! Will definitely try your home made white acrylic and water misting trick, looks really great here! Love your page, ever so wonderful! xoxox

7 comments:

Sarah said...

This is so cool! I must try!!!

Milagros C. Rivera said...

What an outstanding page Tina, so in love with your tecnique, i had done it with canvas but never with muslim, have to give it a try!

Karen said...

I have never tried this Tina but I certainly will be now! Love what you have created and the layout is stunning!

sandi said...

Wow! This is very cool looking! Love what you did with the pic!

Helen Tilbury said...

What a cool idea Tina - I must definitely give this one a go - thanks for sharing - very beautiful layout you did with it too!!

beckyjune said...

I happened upon your blog through the Paper Bakery blog and wanted to tell you that your work is fantastic! I found myself adding some of your things to Pinterest. Have a great day!

Eila Sandberg said...

Totally agree with you about the printing in fabric, have tried it myself but on canvas. The effect on muslin is really fab! Will definitely try your home made white acrylic and water misting trick, looks really great here! Love your page, ever so wonderful! xoxox