Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Happy Times 2" and a sneak from CSI - Case File #4

Hello everyone!  I hope your week has been good so far and the weather in your part of the world has been pleasant.  It's cold and snowy here in Utah, but it is January!?!  :)

Today, I thought it would be fun to share a happy, little ‘mistake’ that I created a few weeks back, using the January Paper Bakery kit.  It started with an experiment and a tag, and ended with a finished layout.

My background came from the following:  I was playing around with several mists, Shiva paint-sticks, and a stencil on a blank piece of white cardstock. I was trying different splatter techniques and seeing what type of effects I could create with a stencil and Shiva paint-stick. I had a cool design started on this piece of paper, but had no end result in mind. Therefore, the paper went promptly into the ‘future drawer’. (I keep a drawer of all my experiments, mistakes, and leftover ideas in case they can be used for a future projects).

My tag came from the following:  Using the January kit, I created a really quick, fun tag with the cool ‘sew’ label and some left over scraps.


It had been sitting on my desk these past several weeks, just waiting for that perfect project, when it HIT ME! Let’s create a layout with the tag and one of my experiment papers. I rummaged thru my ‘future drawer’ and found the inspiration I was looking for.

The circles on the cardstock were a little too bold for the layout I was planning, so I ‘colored’ them in with a white gelato marker. I layered the tag on top of more scraps and adhered it to the cardstock with some washi tape. (LOVE THIS STUFF). I drew some lines in the corner with a ruler and pen, adhered my photo to the cardstock with more washi tape, and stitched down the title.





Because the main embellishment (tag) of the layout and the background paper were ‘pre-made’ the layout came together very quickly. I really enjoyed this process as it allowed me to use scraps from my stash, and to use pre-made elements on a finished piece. You could also try this technique using a pre-made card. 

Wanna try this and win some goodies?  The January #2 sketch is still open over at the Paper Bakery.  Submit your layout and if you win, you could win some Paper Bakery goodies.  (Submissions accepted until January 29th.)

Wanna see another peek???

Case File #4 over at CSI is an another amazing mix of colors, design elements, and journaling prompts.  I loved it so much, I created TWO, yes TWO layouts!  Here is a sneaky peek of the challenge and of my projects. 




Wanna see more?  Come back Friday evening and I'll reveal both layouts and a fun little peek at my CSI Design Process - 'Getting from A to X, Y, and Z'.

That's all for today.  Have a great day and take care,


3 comments:

Diana Waite said...

that tag is GORGEOUS, and adds just the right touch to your layout!

Ashley Horton said...

Wow, Tina!! I wish my "mistakes" looked that awesome!! :) The CSI sneak peek looks so cool and I can't wait to see your full layout!!

Eila Sandberg said...

Pure genius Tina!! the end result is just amazing and nobody would ever believe it's the result of mistakes! Mine are binned prontissimo, no way they have a future anywhere LOL xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...