Sunday, September 16, 2012

SC Sunday Sketch - Cost of livin is high...

Happy Sunday!

A couple of weeks ago, Nicole Harper asked if I'd be interested in creating a layout for Studio Calico's Sunday Sketch, a regular blog feature.  Of course my answer was YES, ABSOLUTELY! 

I was so lucky to be able to use this fabulous sketch, based on Marcy Penner's September SC layout, 'Lego Collectors'.  (p.s. LOVE Marcy's style)  :)



So now the pressure was on....the SC blog - WOW, that is HUGE!  What to do, what to do?  What product to use?  What photo to use?

So I pulled out my box of Cosmo Cricket goodies (that I won a few weeks back) looked for something that caught my eye.  I found it!  So now, what picture to use?

I've been wanted to do a layout for weeks based on the Ronnie Dunn song, 'Cost of Livin'.  I thought it would be fun to photograph a local gas station showing the cost of gas - what a perfect match for the song.

So I started with this picture, taken with one of my favorite phone camera apps, Vignette.  BUT....


I've become mildly obsessed with another phone camera app, PicsArt.  You can import photos from any other app and edit and add more fun elements!  (okay, so I am more than mildly obsessed, I'm majorly obsessed)

I turned that picture, into this..

 
Isn't that SO cool??  You will definitely be seeing me use this on many of my future photo prints.
 
So off I went to create a layout.  I love great sketches like this one from Marcy.  They are so versatile and can be used in many ways.  I love how Marcy 'centered' her photos and layered product behind and around the photos.  That is always a great look. 
 

I stayed fairly close to the sketch, but changed it up to match my scrappy style.  Because I tend to scrap 'one photo' layouts, I used one photo and filled the 2nd photo space with chipboard embellishments and layered patterned paper.  I also love all things arrow (who doesn't, right?), so I used her arrow idea and added a chipboard arrow to my photo to draw interest to a certain spot on the photo.  Lastly, instead of adding scrap strips of paper to the top and bottom of my layout, I added chipboard strips, embellished with more chipboard, and moved them closer to the center of the page.  (as I wrote this, I realized I am also obsessed with chipboard LOL)
 




 
If you are looking for a sketch challenge, hop on over to SC's blog and check it out!
 
Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great one!

Photobucket

10 comments:

Georgia Heald said...

Gorgeous Tina, love them!

sandi said...

Fabulous page! Love what that app did with the pic....very cool!
Awesome take on the sketch Tina!

Diana Waite said...

how AWESOME are you?! Studio Calico? You totally ROCKED that sketch and I'm thinking I need that app--LOVE the edited picture--TOTALLY fun!

Helen Tilbury said...

WONDERFUL Tina! Woohoo to you. Studio Calico feature is MASSIVE!!

Ashley Horton said...

Tina, how stinkin' awesome to be invited to do a layout for the SC sketch!! WOW!! Love what you did with it!! And the effect on the photo is really cool!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

Where to start? :) I LOVE your layout!! All of the fun chipboard and what you did with that photo was awesome. I need to try that app out :) Lucky you getting to do a LO for SC--well deserved!

soapHOUSEmama said...

SOOOO loving this! Such a great take on the sketch!

Emma Miya said...

that is a really awesome layout!

Beth Hallgren said...

Another AMAZING layout! Love the soft colors and all the layering :)

Debbi Tehrani said...

Such a cool page, Tina! LOVE that photo effect. Way to go getting highlighted by Studio Calico!

10 comments:

Georgia Heald said...

Gorgeous Tina, love them!

sandi said...

Fabulous page! Love what that app did with the pic....very cool!
Awesome take on the sketch Tina!

Diana Waite said...

how AWESOME are you?! Studio Calico? You totally ROCKED that sketch and I'm thinking I need that app--LOVE the edited picture--TOTALLY fun!

Helen Tilbury said...

WONDERFUL Tina! Woohoo to you. Studio Calico feature is MASSIVE!!

Ashley Horton said...

Tina, how stinkin' awesome to be invited to do a layout for the SC sketch!! WOW!! Love what you did with it!! And the effect on the photo is really cool!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

Where to start? :) I LOVE your layout!! All of the fun chipboard and what you did with that photo was awesome. I need to try that app out :) Lucky you getting to do a LO for SC--well deserved!

soapHOUSEmama said...

SOOOO loving this! Such a great take on the sketch!

Emma Miya said...

that is a really awesome layout!

Beth Hallgren said...

Another AMAZING layout! Love the soft colors and all the layering :)

Debbi Tehrani said...

Such a cool page, Tina! LOVE that photo effect. Way to go getting highlighted by Studio Calico!