Monday, March 18, 2013

Gesso, Stencils, Alpha Stickers, and Mist...

IF YOU WANT TO WIN A CHANCE FOR A SEAT ON JULIE BALZER'S STAMP CARVING 101 CLASS OR A BOX OF GOODIES, CLICK HERE!

Hello and Happy Monday!

I have one more layout I would like to JBS share using using bits & pieces of the March Papercrafting kit, the March Artisan Add On kit, and the March Mini Album kit.

I wanted to create a 'one of a kind' background, so I added some gesso, stencils, alpha stickers and spray mist to a piece of scrap cardstock to create a fun and unique background.

To create my 'one of a kind' squares for my background, I started by randomly placing stickers on a piece of scrap chipboard.


Then, using one of Dina Wakley's FABBO stencils, I applied clear gesso to the letters and chipboard.



After this was dry, I sprayed several shades of yellow spray mist on the letters and chipboard and randomly cut into squares.  I lightly patted (removed) some of the spray mist to reveal the chipboard underneath.



Before I stitched the squares to the base layer, I used the exclusive stencil from the Papercrafting kit to add more texture and depth to the background.



And here is the finished layout and several more close-ups.




Next time you want to create an interesting background for your project, or create a 'one of a kind' look, try using some gesso, a stencil (or two), some alpha stickers, and spray mist.

Don't forget to check out the latest challenge over on the JBS blog - CALVINBALL 2013!   There is still plenty of time to play along!

Thank you for stopping by!  I hope you have a great week!

7 comments:

Disco Queen said...

Love it! I think nothing of cutting up background papers or making my own backgrounds. However, I'm always forgetting that I can cut up my own backgrounds.

Patricia Roebuck said...

Absolutely LOVE this Tina!! It is artsy, well designed and still has a clean look! You inspired me to do this more!

Elisabeth Bakken said...

I just love your layout! Really playfull....!

Diana Waite said...

ooh! This is TOTALLY cool--LOVE it!

Natalie Elphinstone said...

I love this interesting technique. It's creating such a lovely textural background. And your page is just stunning!

Ashley Horton said...

This is really fabulous Tina!! Love how you used the letters and gesso! And the large #'s in the Red, really pop! Definitely an amazing design!

Dara Lynn said...

Love this Tina!!!!!! Saw in SB.com and had to come see how you created this page!

7 comments:

Disco Queen said...

Love it! I think nothing of cutting up background papers or making my own backgrounds. However, I'm always forgetting that I can cut up my own backgrounds.

Patricia Roebuck said...

Absolutely LOVE this Tina!! It is artsy, well designed and still has a clean look! You inspired me to do this more!

Elisabeth Bakken said...

I just love your layout! Really playfull....!

Diana Waite said...

ooh! This is TOTALLY cool--LOVE it!

Natalie Elphinstone said...

I love this interesting technique. It's creating such a lovely textural background. And your page is just stunning!

Ashley Horton said...

This is really fabulous Tina!! Love how you used the letters and gesso! And the large #'s in the Red, really pop! Definitely an amazing design!

Dara Lynn said...

Love this Tina!!!!!! Saw in SB.com and had to come see how you created this page!