Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Washi Madness...MME Style!

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

This week is a really fun and super inspiring week over on the My Mind's Eye blog.  It is Washi Madness, MME Style!


Washi and Decorative tape are seriously one of my favorite products and I can't get enough.  Some might even say I have a washi obsession, but that's okay by me.  ;)

Today I'd like to share how you can use washi on projects where you might ordinarily use paper or paint. I used a similar process for both projects, so let's walk through how I made this trio of Washi-Owl Canvases.


Step One:
Gather supplies.  For the Washi-Owl Canvas, you will need several canvases, tissue paper, matte medium (or Mod Podge), a paint brush, and your favorite MME decorative tape.
Note:  I prefer matte medium or matte Mod Podge instead of glossy for my canvases.  

Step Two:
Apply a coat of matte medium/Mod Podge to your canvas.  Not a real thin layer, but not dripping wet.

Step Three:
Cut a piece of tissue paper slightly larger than your canvas and 'ball it up'.

Step Four:
Gently unwrap your tissue and place on top of matte medium/Mod Podge.  Apply another layer of matte medium/Mod Podge to top of tissue paper. 
Note:  When applying the matte medium/Mod Podge to top of tissue, apply gentle pressure or the tissue paper will rip and lift from the canvas.

Step Five:
Remove tissue paper excess from the edge of your canvas.  Since the edge is wet, you can gently remove the excess by tearing the tissue paper away.

While your canvas is drying, you can get your washi tape ready for adhering to your canvas.


Step Six:
Apply your favorite MME decorate tape to white cardstock. I used several patterns and designs to add more interest to my project.

Step Seven:
Either with an electronic die cut machine, a punch, or decorative scissors, cut zig zag/chevron shapes from the washi tape/cardstock sheet.  
I used my Silhouette to cut the shapes and it cuts like 'butta'.  :)
Note:  I also cut my owl shape with my electronic die cut machine.


When your canvas is dry, proceed to Step Eight.

Step Eight:
Adhere washi zigzag shapes to canvas with matte medium/Mod Podge.  Allow to dry completely.

Step Nine plus:
Decorate canvas with paint, rub-ons, stamps, spray mist, doodling, etc. and allow to dry.  If you desire, you can seal your canvas with another coat of matte medium/Mod Podge, but it isn't necessary.


To show you how versatile washi tape is, I also decorated a wooden bird house using MME decorative tape, and cut shapes (for the roof) using the same method above.  Instead of cardstock, I used vellum to create a thinner layer.  I adhered the washi strips to the roof using wide strips of Scor Tape applied directly to the wood roof.



I hope that the next time you reach for a piece of paper or paint to complete a project, you will think about using decorative tape!

Be sure to stop by the My Mind's Eye blog all week to check out what the Design Team creates!  

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day!



8 comments:

Annette said...

Tina these are amazing... So creative and just super fun... you should enter these into the Moxie Fab Washi tape challenge...

Megan Colwell said...

A very cute design. I'm working with mod podge recently. I LOVE it!

The Nautical Owl

MichelleZ said...

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

Can't wait to try out the canvas technique, Tina. Simply fabulous with all the added depth and texturing you've done!

Briana Johnson said...

WOW, Tina! Totally inspiring! You've totally taken washi to the highest level!

Diana Waite said...

SUPER cute projects!!

Tegan said...

Awesome! Great idea!

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

OMG! This is so incredibly awesome. I have to try this!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...