Friday, April 12, 2013

Freaky Friday! April Edition!

Hi and Happy Friday!

When Stephanie asked the MME design team members to swap design styles with each other, I must admit, I was a little nervous. These types of challenges are always tough because you are comfortable with your own style, and when you create a project using the style of another designer, it definitely pushes you outside your comfort zone.


I was asked to swap styles with the very talented Suzanne Sergi!

So how did I ‘interpret’ Suzanne’s style? I started by printing off several of her recent projects from the MME blog. I layed them out in front of me and certain design elements became noticeable. Suzanne generally creates layouts with one (1) large (4x6 or larger) photo. This is a big change for me since I generally use smaller photos (and multi prints of the same). Her backgrounds use larger pieces of patterned paper, incorporating design elements from the background paper in the page. Love this!  Suzanne also uses large banners, (which I also love), and lots of round embellishments.

I wanted to create a layout that used these key design elements, but yet still make it my own.

To make this a marriage between Suzanne’s and my styles, I used the above design elements, but created an 8.5 x 11 page. Also, one of my current favorite techniques is to die cut a piece of deli paper and place it over a busy background paper to create a subtle, muted effect. Love this look!







I am so happy with my finished project. I think it is the perfect blend between our two styles and love how it turned out. Next time you have the change to swap styles with another designer, jump at the challenge. It is definitely fun.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by!  Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it! It did you good to get out of your comfort zone! I love the big picture with the title in it!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow this is amazing!!! Love all of the layering on the embellishments!

jenni...that's me. said...

Love the vellum!!

Diana Waite said...

what a GREAT job--love the touch of vellum--this is GORGEOUS!

Ashley Horton said...

Love this Tina!! All of the different patterned papers look awesome, and what a fun idea to switch up and design with the different styles!

Helen Tilbury said...

Stunning Tina! Brilliant idea with the deli paper :-p

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it! It did you good to get out of your comfort zone! I love the big picture with the title in it!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow this is amazing!!! Love all of the layering on the embellishments!

jenni...that's me. said...

Love the vellum!!

Diana Waite said...

what a GREAT job--love the touch of vellum--this is GORGEOUS!

Ashley Horton said...

Love this Tina!! All of the different patterned papers look awesome, and what a fun idea to switch up and design with the different styles!

Helen Tilbury said...

Stunning Tina! Brilliant idea with the deli paper :-p