Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Project Photography - it will all come out in the wash!

Hello and Happy Tuesday! I hope y’all are having a great week and spring has arrived in your part of the world!  We had a ‘winter storm’ last night here in Utah, lots of high wind and SNOW. (Yes, I said snow). I’m not sure what Mother Nature is up to, but I am so ready for spring to arrive.

Today, I’d like to share a behind-the-scenes look at my ‘photo studio’, aka my Laundry Room.

I have been asked on several occasions on how I take photos of my projects. Like you, I have tried almost every table, floor, and wall in my house. I’ve tried taking photos with and without lighting and on different types of backgrounds. As the seasons change so does the lighting and what may be perfect this month, doesn’t work 3 months from now.

By process of elimination, I have found the ‘perfect’ photo studio in my house, aka my Laundry Room.


My laundry room faces west, so the sunlight is usually shining through the window all day long. My laundry room is in the upper level of my house, so the windows are not shaded by trees or shadows from other homes. In addition to the consistent external light source, I have found that the reflective white surface of my washer and dryer creates a natural light source that is perfect for photography.


What angle do I use when taking photos of projects? I have tried taking photos from both a vertical and horizontal view point, but I find I have better control of my camera and cropping capability from a vertical view point.


My photo base is a laundry basket (when in Rome) and pieces of white cardstock as my background. Occasionally, I will take pictures of cards and 3-D projects on top of the washer/dryer and place white or kraft cardstock on a corrugated box for a backdrop. I also like to place buttons and/or twine in the scene to add more visual interest to the photo.

Here is a sample:


I hope you have found this helpful. I would love to hear about how you take photos of your projects and any tips or hints you can share. You can either leave a comment below with your ideas or send me an email with them. I will post all of your tips and hints on a future blog post.

Before you leave today, I will leave you with a LITTLE peek of a HUGE project I am working on. :)



Thank you for stopping by! Have a fantastic Tuesday and a wonderful week!



5 comments:

Kelly Foster said...

The change of seasons/change of lighting can be so frustrating! Looks like you found a perfect spot :) this is a great tutorial, I know many many Scrappers struggle with this!

Megan Colwell said...

PERFECT lighting. I miss that about my old townhouse. I had a great room for taking pictures. Now I'm much more limited. I need to make myself a light box!

The Nautical Owl
Facebook
Etsy
Twitter
Enter this Lovely Giveaway!

Sandra said...

Thank you for your tips. I'm still struggling to find a way to photograph my projects - here in the UK the weather recently has been grey & dull, so of no help at all ... But I keep trying

Ashley Horton said...

Great tips Tina! I am still struggling to find that perfect lighting...but at least I know how to make up for most of it with editing in PSE!! :)

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

I do the same thing, Tina! But, sometimes I still get a glare on the photos on my layouts. Grrr.

5 comments:

Kelly Foster said...

The change of seasons/change of lighting can be so frustrating! Looks like you found a perfect spot :) this is a great tutorial, I know many many Scrappers struggle with this!

Megan Colwell said...

PERFECT lighting. I miss that about my old townhouse. I had a great room for taking pictures. Now I'm much more limited. I need to make myself a light box!

The Nautical Owl
Facebook
Etsy
Twitter
Enter this Lovely Giveaway!

Sandra said...

Thank you for your tips. I'm still struggling to find a way to photograph my projects - here in the UK the weather recently has been grey & dull, so of no help at all ... But I keep trying

Ashley Horton said...

Great tips Tina! I am still struggling to find that perfect lighting...but at least I know how to make up for most of it with editing in PSE!! :)

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

I do the same thing, Tina! But, sometimes I still get a glare on the photos on my layouts. Grrr.