Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reuse and Recycle!

Hello and Happy Sunday!  Today, I would like to share a mini album I created for My Mind's Eye on Earth Day. 

As the world continues to grow and being 'green' becomes more & more important, I thought I'd share a really fun (and super easy) way to 'be green' and recycle and re-use!


We all have those plastic bags around, right?.  Even if you take your own bags to the store you can acquire a plastic grocery bag here and there...despite your best intentions.

Here's a fun way to use those plastic bags and create memories at the same time!  How perfect is that?

Special Note:  I first discovered this idea in a YouTube video. You can see it HERE!
Thanks so much for the idea, Laura!




Let's jump right into the process:



Step One:  Gather up some plastic bags.  Each bag will make one 'page', so keep that in mind.

Step Two:  Straighten and flatten the bag and cut both ends off.  (handles and bottom of bag)

Step Three:  Cut out the store logo section of the bag.

Step Four:  Unfold the bag and cut out the additional words from the bag.  (on the right side of the picture)





Step Five:  Flatten out bag.

Step Six:   Fold bag in half.

Step Seven:  Fold bag in half again.

Step Eight:  Fold bag in opposite direction into 3 equal sections.

Step Nine:  Heat iron to Permanent press setting.





Step Ten & Eleven:  Place folded bag(s) between 2 pieces of paper (from a store bag, parchment paper, or craft paper).  Continually move the iron until plastic begins to melt together.  It took me approx 1-2 minutes per bag to meld the plastic together.

Step Twelve:  Once the bag is completely melted and all air bubbles are removed, remove the plastic bag from between the 2 pieces of paper.  The plastic bag may 'stick' to the paper, so gently peel the bag from the paper.  Please be careful because it will be VERY HOT!

Step Thirteen:  Continue the process until you have created enough 'pages' for your project.





Step Fourteen:  For my mini album, I wanted the pages to be the same size, so I trimmed each page to 3x5 inches.

Step Fifteen:  You can use the pages in this raw form, or you can paint, spray, stamp, etc. as desired.  I wanted to create a soft, water color look, so I applied a coat of gesso to each page.

Step Sixteen:  Once the gesso was dry, I sprayed 2 colors of spray mist to the page and gently wiped off the spray with a paper towel, leaving a soft hue of color.

Step Seventeen:  This is what all of my pages looked like after I sprayed each with spray mist and gently removed the spray.

Step Eighteen:  I wanted to add more glimmer and shine to each page, so I applied silver metallic rub to each page.  I really love how the metallic rub looks in the crooks and nannies of each page.




I finished my mini by adding layered stickers, chipboard elements, brads, decorative tape, enamel dots, and die cuts to each page.  To add even more fun, I layered glassine envelopes with the above product so you can hide more memorabilia and photos in the little pockets.  Binder rings hold my entire mini together with some pretty ribbon and lace.



How about some close-ups of these recycled bags turned mini album??
 





 



Super easy, yes?  I would LOVE to see what projects you create with your plastic bags.  It felt so good to take trash and make it a treasure!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a Happy Earth Month!
 




4 comments:

Kim Price said...

What an interesting technique and idea on how to re-use plastic shopping bags. In an ideal world we wouldn't need these at all but I love this idea to repurpose them. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kimberly Kett said...

This is suck a clever and cool idea, I love it!

Helen Tilbury said...

Fantastic Tina! This is definitely being added to my crafty bucket list!!

Leanne said...

wow! a really clever idea! tfs..x

4 comments:

Kim Price said...

What an interesting technique and idea on how to re-use plastic shopping bags. In an ideal world we wouldn't need these at all but I love this idea to repurpose them. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kimberly Kett said...

This is suck a clever and cool idea, I love it!

Helen Tilbury said...

Fantastic Tina! This is definitely being added to my crafty bucket list!!

Leanne said...

wow! a really clever idea! tfs..x