Sunday, April 14, 2013

Studio Calico Sunday Sketch April 2013

Good Morning and Happy Sunday!

I love those happy email days and earlier this week, was one of those day!  The lovely Nicole Harper invited me to play along with this week's sketch. (I truly love this 'hobby' - I am blessed).

I had some extra time this week, so I created a project for both the card and layout sketches.  :)

First up, is this fantastic sketch, based on this wonderful card by Joy Taylor.




I LOVE Joy's card and how she combined such fabulous shapes and design elements. I actually stayed fairly close to the sketch, layering all sorts of SC goodies, creating my sentiment.

 Instead of a large circle in the background, I brought the circular element forward and layered my sentiment on it.  I layered several die cuts to create my sentiment and popped the sentiment off the card.  In place of the paper strip, I used 2 strips of washi tape and stitched them in place.  Quick and Easy!




My second project was a layout, based on this sketch and layout by the fab-u-lous Shanna Noel!  Just love her style!



I really loved the 'split' page look; using 2 patterned papers to make the background.  I used this idea, but shrunk down the 'split' page look and created 2 strips of patterned paper to place behind my photo.  


I love any sketch with a banner.  Banners have been around for awhile but I never get tired of creating layouts with them.  They are definitely one of my go-to design techniques.  You know what they say, 'Go Big or Go Home', so I went BIG with my banner.  I layered several cut banner pieces and chipboard elements for my banner, and 'hung' them to  a piece of twine with mini close-pins.  I seriously think I could put mini close-pins and paper clips on every project.  LOVE THEM!




I also changed the location of the title, and moved mine to the bottom of my page.  I'm not sure if you can see this from the photo, but I wanted to expand on the fun theme of squirrels and nuts, so using a squirrel shape, I repeated the design with my Silhouette software and cut out a squirrel background from deli paper.  It's a great way to tone done a busy background, and super fun at the same time.  




Don't forget, if you link up your take on either of these layouts on the Studio Calico blog, you will have a chance to win a $5 Studio Calico shop gift certificate!

Thank you for taking the time to stop by!  I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!


4 comments:

Fluffy said...

Adorable! Tx

Dara Lynn said...

I love that dog!!!!! The embellishments are perfect for the page, down to adding the photo on the tag!

Ashley Horton said...

Awesome take on both sketches, Tina!! Love the long title across your layout!

Diana Waite said...

how sweet Tina--these are GREAT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...