Saturday, September 7, 2013

Creating "outside of the lines"!

Hello and Happy Saturday!

I've really been loving getting my hands messy with paint, ink, and spray's these days.  I've had some extra time on my hands, so I thought I'd create a couple of projects just for fun. 

My first project started off as a background for a future Frog Dog Studio DT project.  I wasn't really loving where it was going, so I covered the background with gesso and started over.  As fall is approaching, I wanted to create something that reminded me of summer and what's a perfect reminder, FLOWERS!


I cut flower petal shapes from dictionary paper and adhered them to my canvas with matte medium.  Once it was dry, I painted each petal with Distress Paint.  Distress Paint is such an amazing product.  I love the fluid nature of it and how it reacts with water. 

Once the Distress Paint was dry, I shaded each petal with Faber Castell Big Brush Pens, another favorite product. 


I added more gesso to my background and more shading with the Big Brush pens.  Once I was happy with how it looked, I outlined the flowers and leaves with a doodling pen and added more shading with an oil pastel crayon . 



I also added oil pastel to the leaves and centers of my flowers. 

To finish off my canvas, I added the centers to my flowers and highlights on my leaves with Montana markers (love these), and stamped several designs on my background.

I actually thought my canvas was done at this stage, but I decided to take it a step further.  I added a very thick coating of Crackle accents to my flowers and leaves.  I am so happy I decided to add this step.  I love the added texture and dimension it added to my canvas.


I framed the canvas in an extra large IKEA frame!  Love the simplicity and color.


I must have been in the mood for flowers, because my second project, (created this morning) is full of them.


A few week back, I was lucky enough to get my hands on this wonderful Art Journaling Coloring Book, by Catherine Scanlon.  The pages are full of fantastically wonderful designs and are full of creative possibilities. 

Since I had some quiet time this morning, I finally pulled out one page and began creating.


My entire page was created with Neocolor II crayons (which are freakin' awesome), Glaze Gelly Roll pens, and Montana markers. 

I kept building layers of color and texture. 



I love creating when I can 'color outside of the lines'.  Embracing imperfection and surrendering to creative abandon.



I can't wait to create another Art Journal coloring page!  Housework or coloring??  Hmmmmm..... 

:)

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Diana Waite said...

this is seriously ARTSY and FUN!

1 comment:

Diana Waite said...

this is seriously ARTSY and FUN!