Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Clash of two worlds....

Hello and Happy Sunday!

Today's post is a rather odd and personal one.  I'm going to share two separate projects I completed this weekend, {both for fun}, but they come from both ends of the crafting spectrum - Free, Open, and Intuitive Painting to Vintage, Whimsical, Scrappy Fun. 

My projects today represent the Whole Me!  All parts of the Internal Me!  The Creative Me!  When asked what my 'style' is, I often don't know how to answer that question.  When I hear the words, artsy, simple, whimsical, clean, eclectic, traditional, shabby chic, vintage, or modern, I don't think my 'style' immediately falls into any one category.  I will usually define my style as a 'chameleon', constantly changing and evolving with time.  As I learn new techniques and am inspired by new colors and textures, I embrace the forward movement and incorporate into the Internal Me. 

I am a 'crafter of all sorts'.  I've been 'crafting' since I was little.  My Grandmother was always making something, and I would often accompany her on her crafting expeditions.  I have tried it all.  Needlework, Cross-stitch, Painting, Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing, Scrapbooking, Mixed Media, Jewelry Making, etc.  As my life has changed and I have grown, so has my crafting.  Do you feel this way too?  Is this unique to me or does your style and interest peak and wane throughout the years?

I'll start with my first project - a Mini Album lifted from another project I created last month. I used the newest Holiday Collection by Pretty Little Studio, 'Woodland Christmas'.  I was honored to see this collection as it was being developed by owner Melissa Ross.  She is a genius at vintage, whimsical collections and I have loved them from the first day!

This project represents my vintage, whimsical, paper-crafting side.  I adore creating layouts, mini albums, and other off the page paper projects.  As y'all know, I usually don't scrap the traditional, 'child memory-keeping' style layouts due to the fact that my children are grown and don't cooperate much with my photo taking anymore.  :)  My layouts usually consists of candid, in the moment photos of my two pups, Moose & Flikka, who cooperate (usually) with my endless photo taking.  When creating Mini Albums, I will often leave them blank, so others may see the possibility in creating their own Mini Album using their family as inspiration.


I lifted another Mini Album I created for Pretty Little Studio when I was a Guest Designer for them back in November.  Why not?!?  If you've created a project that you love and you can re-create using different product, go for it!  Just do it!  ;)







I can see more projects using this collection in my near future!  Love it!

So my next project represents another aspect of my crafty self.  This project that represents the free, uninhibited, intuitive self. 

Mixed Media is a relatively new area for me.  I first dabbled in creating mixed media type projects when I took a Christy Tomlinson She Art Workshop.  I have been hooked ever since. 

I must admit, Mixed Media is and can be VERY intimidating.  Great Mixed Media artists make it looks so easy and so simple, and when you are starting out, you aren't really sure where to go.  As I got more comfortable in letting my heart lead me, it became easier.  When you let go of the 'what if I make a mistake' thinking, it becomes empowering.  Creating art IS empowering!  Creating art is opening yourself to criticism, self analysis, praise, and conflict, but it is all worth it.  When I create something that is ME, nobody can take that from me.  It is a part of me, now and forever!

As I get more comfortable in creating Mixed Media projects, I broadened my search for new techniques, ideas, and creative inspiration.  I recently came across 'Intuitive Painting' and it immediately hit me like a brick.  It was something I could relate to and it seemed 'so easy'.  So in the spirit of 'letting go' and creating for me, I created my first large canvas, 24x30inches in size.  When I started, I wasn't sure what I was creating, nor where it would go - I just did it!  I put paint to canvas, using my hands and fingers as my tools. 


This type of art may not be 'your cup of tea', but I am completely in love with it.  ♥  I love the energy, the life, the vibrancy, and the love it portrays.  I think I have found a new obsession.  :)





This simply makes me happy! 

That is Me!  All of Me!  I wonder what 2014 will bring?  I wonder how my art will evolve and what my obsession and style will be this time next year.

Thanks for stopping by today!  Your time and comments are always appreciated!  Hugs!

9 comments:

Leanne said...

Two very gorgeous and totally stunning projects!! I love your Chameleon style! And as crafters I personally think this is an awesome "label" to have.. no limits..x

Debbi Tehrani said...

What a sweet and clever mini, and how cool is that painting! So happy to know you're having fun with your art, Tina!

Toni From said...

I love your canvas. It is so hopeful, joyous, and happy. What tutorial did you use and did you use acrylic paints?

DIANA L. said...

Tina, both projects are wonderful and both so unique.Have a great day
DIANA L.
dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Tina said...

Hi Toni! Thank you for the kind words. I didn't use a tutorial for my canvas...I only painted what I felt. Does that make sense? Intuitive Painting is painting what you feel - nothing pre-thought or planned. I used Liquitex Basic acrylic paints for my canvas. :)

Ashley Horton said...

I love your range of creativity Tina! You have a distinct look, but I love how you change things up with what you create! The mini is so fun and I love the graphic look of your canvas!

KrissyClarkMcKee said...

These are wonderful projects! I love all the layering and bright colors of your mini! And I wish there was a way to "like" your comment to Toni re: painting; my thoughts were, yes, exactly that. *smile*

Keri said...

Love your words AND your beautiful and inspiring projects! :)

Annie Claxton said...

Wow! I love both ends of your artistic spectrum - they're very different but both full of energy and vibrant colour, and you can see how much fun you had as well :o)

9 comments:

Leanne said...

Two very gorgeous and totally stunning projects!! I love your Chameleon style! And as crafters I personally think this is an awesome "label" to have.. no limits..x

Debbi Tehrani said...

What a sweet and clever mini, and how cool is that painting! So happy to know you're having fun with your art, Tina!

Toni From said...

I love your canvas. It is so hopeful, joyous, and happy. What tutorial did you use and did you use acrylic paints?

DIANA L. said...

Tina, both projects are wonderful and both so unique.Have a great day
DIANA L.
dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Tina said...

Hi Toni! Thank you for the kind words. I didn't use a tutorial for my canvas...I only painted what I felt. Does that make sense? Intuitive Painting is painting what you feel - nothing pre-thought or planned. I used Liquitex Basic acrylic paints for my canvas. :)

Ashley Horton said...

I love your range of creativity Tina! You have a distinct look, but I love how you change things up with what you create! The mini is so fun and I love the graphic look of your canvas!

KrissyClarkMcKee said...

These are wonderful projects! I love all the layering and bright colors of your mini! And I wish there was a way to "like" your comment to Toni re: painting; my thoughts were, yes, exactly that. *smile*

Keri said...

Love your words AND your beautiful and inspiring projects! :)

Annie Claxton said...

Wow! I love both ends of your artistic spectrum - they're very different but both full of energy and vibrant colour, and you can see how much fun you had as well :o)