Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Frog Dog Studio & Genuinely Jane Studios Blog Hop!



Welcome to the Frog Dog Studio and Genuinely Jane Studios Blog Hop!

This week our design teams are showcasing projects from the Frog Dog Studio 
January Mixed Media Kit, featuring an Exclusive Genuinely Jane Studio Telephone Booth Wood Album.  Both teams are excited to share their kit projects and show you how they were inspired by Genuinely Jane products.

Be sure to follow the blog hop list below as you hop from one blog to the next. 

Lost?  Return to the Frog Dog Studio blog or the Genuinely Jane Studios blog to see who is next on your hopping list!

We love Frog Dog Studio kits and Genuinely Jane Studios product so much, we are sharing them with you!  Visit each blog and leave a comment for a chance to win one of the following: 

1.  ONE winner will be selected to receive a $25 Frog Dog Studio Gift Certificate to use in the Frog Dog Studio store.

2.  ONE winner will be selected to receive a $25 Gift Certificate  from Genuinely Jane Studios to use for GJS books in the Genuinely Jane Studios Store

You must visit each blog and leave a comment on all blogs in order to qualify.  

Comments are due by midnight EST, Friday, January 24th to qualify for the drawing. 

Winners will be announced shortly after the end of the comment period, so be sure to check back to see if you've won.

Let's get hopping!


I love Genuinely Jane Studios wood albums!   They are so great for any mixed media project.  I really wanted to create something 'outta the box', so I created a Home Decor wall art piece, using a wood mini album as a focal point.


To create the focal point, I painted each square with a coat of Gesso.  Once it was dry, I sprayed each square with Lindy's spray, Ghostly White.  (Ghostly white has a subtle iridescent color).

Then, I covered each square with wax medium.  I love the texture and depth it created on each wooden piece.  Once the wax was dry, I glued the squares together.



In the center of the focal point, I used an Exclusive Frog Dog Studio stamp that was a freebie to kit subscribers this month.  I stamped the phonebook image on a piece of transpercy with Staz On Ink.  Then, I painted one of the clay phones from the kit with Gesso and sprayed it liberally with Heidi Swapp Gold Lame spray. Once the phone was dry, I also coated it with wax medium.




Special Note:  Since the wax medium is super HOT, be careful when coating a clay piece.  The clay begin to soften when the wax was applied.  I had to let the wax cool before adding additional layers.

Once the phone was finished, I glued it on top of the stamped image.  Since the wooden album had 2 holes where the binder rings held it together, I added an enamel dot to each corner, covering the holes.  Perfect disquise and it looks great!



I placed the entire focal point on top of a canvas that was created with the tissue paper in the January kit.  I inked and sprayed on the canvas to add texture and dimension.  To finish the canvas, I coated it with wax medium so the entire piece had a similar look and feel.

This project looks complicated, but it was actually fairly quick and easy to put together.

I want to thank you for stopping by today, so in addition to the prizes that Frog Dog Studio and Genuinely Jane Studios are giving away, I am also giving away a little prize packet.  Be sure to leave a comment below to be eligible for both!

Thank you for stopping by!  Your next stop is the Genuinely Jane Studios blog.  You will find so much inspiration so don't miss it! 

Happy Hopping!

24 comments:

katiebug92 said...

This is such a fun little piece of art! I love how 3d it is. :)

Susan Wojtkowski said...

Love, love, love this! I'm inspired to do one like it!

donitaylor said...

Would be great for a kids room with their sport, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Emily Hammann said...

I'm with Susan... definitely need to do one similar!! I love it!!! Thanks for teaming up with us at GJS! <3 Emily (GJS DT)

sandi said...

This looks soooooooooo neat!

sparklinggnome.com said...

Absolutely awesome!! I adore your use of clean lines, and depth with the tunnel book...and the contrasting background. :)

Bridget Bruss - Speedy Scrappers said...

Great depth.

Sarah Lynch said...

This is sooo cool Tina! Wax medium? I don't know what that it...just melted beeswax? The result looks amazing, love it!

DeeDee Catron said...

Job well done!! Definitely out of the box and different from most uses of the albums. Love it, Tina!

Annette Allen said...

Tina your amazing.. this is AWESOME.. i love it and how fun that you added the phone.. :) this makes me smile..

Christy Flaherty said...

This is great! I love how creative yet simple this piece is!

marylouh said...

Love your wall hanging. the telephone - with the backdrop of phone book pages was a great idea. The frame looks great. thanks for sharing.

Pammejo said...

Love the wall art, very inspiring. TFS

Violent Kittie said...

You are always coming up with interesting pieces. I love that phone.

K Hutchinson said...

What a cool idea! Love the layers! This would make a wonderful gift!

Madge Gillen said...

WOW Tina.... this is gorgeous! I love how you took the album and made it into such a wonderful frame! I love the instructions that you shared and the overall project is simply amazing! Thanks for sharing your beautiful talent. Loves-Scrappin Madge GJS DT

april dawn said...

Cool idea!

melsartjournal said...

Love all of the detail on this project!! The way the wax works with the sprays looks beautiful. Love how you altered the little phone too, awesome!

Jean said...

Love your project!

PiHi said...

Great golden phone! Andy Warhol would love this one!

Jennifer Andert said...

I loved the simple colors for your design.

Jessica Baldwin said...

What a great piece! I am inspired to make one myself :)

Miriam Prantner said...

I really love this! Love how you created the receding frame, so much great dimension!

Iris said...

Such a fun project - love all the stacked layers.
isoscia@aol.com

24 comments:

katiebug92 said...

This is such a fun little piece of art! I love how 3d it is. :)

Susan Wojtkowski said...

Love, love, love this! I'm inspired to do one like it!

donitaylor said...

Would be great for a kids room with their sport, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Emily Hammann said...

I'm with Susan... definitely need to do one similar!! I love it!!! Thanks for teaming up with us at GJS! <3 Emily (GJS DT)

sandi said...

This looks soooooooooo neat!

sparklinggnome.com said...

Absolutely awesome!! I adore your use of clean lines, and depth with the tunnel book...and the contrasting background. :)

Bridget Bruss - Speedy Scrappers said...

Great depth.

Sarah Lynch said...

This is sooo cool Tina! Wax medium? I don't know what that it...just melted beeswax? The result looks amazing, love it!

DeeDee Catron said...

Job well done!! Definitely out of the box and different from most uses of the albums. Love it, Tina!

Annette Allen said...

Tina your amazing.. this is AWESOME.. i love it and how fun that you added the phone.. :) this makes me smile..

Christy Flaherty said...

This is great! I love how creative yet simple this piece is!

marylouh said...

Love your wall hanging. the telephone - with the backdrop of phone book pages was a great idea. The frame looks great. thanks for sharing.

Pammejo said...

Love the wall art, very inspiring. TFS

Violent Kittie said...

You are always coming up with interesting pieces. I love that phone.

K Hutchinson said...

What a cool idea! Love the layers! This would make a wonderful gift!

Madge Gillen said...

WOW Tina.... this is gorgeous! I love how you took the album and made it into such a wonderful frame! I love the instructions that you shared and the overall project is simply amazing! Thanks for sharing your beautiful talent. Loves-Scrappin Madge GJS DT

april dawn said...

Cool idea!

melsartjournal said...

Love all of the detail on this project!! The way the wax works with the sprays looks beautiful. Love how you altered the little phone too, awesome!

Jean said...

Love your project!

PiHi said...

Great golden phone! Andy Warhol would love this one!

Jennifer Andert said...

I loved the simple colors for your design.

Jessica Baldwin said...

What a great piece! I am inspired to make one myself :)

Miriam Prantner said...

I really love this! Love how you created the receding frame, so much great dimension!

Iris said...

Such a fun project - love all the stacked layers.
isoscia@aol.com