Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Avery Elle, May Arts, and UmWowStudio Team Up



Hello and Happy Tuesday!


This week, UmWowStudio is teaming up with Avery Elle and May Arts to bring a full week of amazing inspiration. I'm up on the UmWowStudio blog today,  with my projects.  I can't wait to share them with you.

 ‘Sleepytime’


I love creating my own backgrounds, starting with a only a raw piece of chipboard.  You can create something unique, customized, and perfect for the type of layout you want to create.




I began building my background with the Circle Confetti Mask (UWS Stencil) and Black Embossing Paste.  Once it was dry, I layered spray mists to build depth of color and texture.   



If you create color that is too bold, tone it down with a quick wash of watered down gesso.  You still get the texture and color underneath, but blended perfectly.

Creating my own unique embellishments is also a great way to create a one-of-a-kind project.  Using a Avery Elle Rounded Diamonds stamp, May Arts ribbon, and Black & Blue UWS flair, I created 3 perfect embellishments for my layout.  Simple, but wonderful.



Bring the entire project together, with a quick stamp around the outside edge and Viola!  Done!

'Take Chances’


Do you create, just to create?  I do all the time.  This is one of those projects I created because I wanted to get my hands messy.


Using a piece of raw chipboard for my background, I covered the entire thing with Heavy Gesso, then ‘adhered’ strips of May Arts ribbon directly to the gesso, with another layer of gesso on top.  The gesso acts as a ‘glue’ and the ribbon becomes embedded to the background.


Once the gesso has dried, begin layering color with spray mist.  The ribbon creates SO much texture, the spray mist pools in the cracks and crevices creating an amazing piece of art.  



Using the Avery Elle Rounded Diamonds stamp, create several custom made embellishments from a scrap piece of chipboard and embossing powder.  Adhere them to the bottom of your piece to create a cascade of mountains, layering some with foam tape for dimension.

Age a piece of fence chipboard with Rusting Powder, and grunge up a Cicada chip, with spray mist and crackle paint.  Adhere them to your artwork.   



I love to finish my ‘just because’ projects with a favorite quote or saying.  This one is simple:  ‘Take Chances’.  My project is full of rich color, texture, and dimension, but uses only a few products. 



I hope you take a few minutes and hop on over to the UmWowStudio blog each day this week and check out the wonderful goodness the Creative Team has created.

Also, there are amazing prizes, so be sure and leave a comment on the UmWowStudio blog for a chance to win.

As always, thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day!
 

5 comments:

barbara macaskill said...

Love the layout!! Great watercolor effect and loving all the chipboard!
"Take Chances" is also very striking!! I love the grungy feel of this artwork! TFS!

cghundley said...

Oh these are lovely!
Love that you made
you own background
paper and great use
of the ribbon on
the second one.
Carla from Utah

Lucy said...

Awesome projects! I love the second piece using the ribbon and Gesso to layer your background.

Heather Thompson said...

WOW, there is so much detail there. I love it. I need to take some classes from you!

Shari Czerwinski said...

Such wonderful projects. I love all the color, texture and chipboard.

5 comments:

barbara macaskill said...

Love the layout!! Great watercolor effect and loving all the chipboard!
"Take Chances" is also very striking!! I love the grungy feel of this artwork! TFS!

cghundley said...

Oh these are lovely!
Love that you made
you own background
paper and great use
of the ribbon on
the second one.
Carla from Utah

Lucy said...

Awesome projects! I love the second piece using the ribbon and Gesso to layer your background.

Heather Thompson said...

WOW, there is so much detail there. I love it. I need to take some classes from you!

Shari Czerwinski said...

Such wonderful projects. I love all the color, texture and chipboard.