Monday, June 16, 2014

A little lifting and inspiration....

Hello and Happy Monday!

In May, the lovely Sanna Lippert created a gorgeous Mixed Media canvas piece for Frog Dog Studio.  The other Design Team members (and friends) were so inspired by her piece, we thought it would be fun to create our own, inspired by her design and elements.  Be sure and visit the other blogs for more great inspiration and to see how they were inspired!

Here is Sanna's gorgeous canvas!

http://www.papierstau.at/2014/05/19/dream-canvas-and-another-simply-stencils-idea-frog-dog-studio/

Her canvas just draws you in, doesn't it?  I love the colors, the textures, and all the drips and splatters!  This is mixed media heaven!

(p.s. you can see her entire project on this post, with a tutorial on how she created this masterpiece)

I was inspired by her Gelli Plate rolled prints and stenciled background, so this is where I started.

Using this stencil, from StencilGirl stencils, I applied Grunge Paste to a wooden canvas. I knew I wanted a soft, muted color palette, so once the Grunge Paste was dried, I dabbed several shades of Distress Stain, mixing with water.



The color is subtle, but the Grunge Paste really grabbed the Distress Stain.

Now on to my Gelli Plate prints.

I had never tried using my Gelli Plate with Distress Stains, so why not??!!  :)  Since the Distress Stains so so fluid, you do not get the same distinct prints/patterns as you would with acrylic paints, but instead a soft 'mash' of color.   Perfect for the look I was going for.


For more texture, I stamped the Gelli prints with several stamps in coordinating colors.    Once I was happy with my prints, I cut them into strips and rolled them into different lengths and widths.  Variety is the spice of life, yes?


I loved how Sanna embellished her rolled prints with wooden pieces, so I added a metal key lock, painted first with gesso, then with the same Distress Stains as before.  Once it was dry, I added a layer of crackle.  You can never use enough crackle!


I colored by chipboard alphas using the same technique as my key lock, and adhered them to the panel.

I SO love how my canvas turned out!


I would like to thank Sanna for creating such an inspirational piece!  As an added way to say Thank You to Sanna - this canvas is now on it's way to Austria, so Sanna can display it in her studio!  :)

Thank you again Sanna!

Ready for more inspiration?

Here's links to my friends who are playing along.

Sanna Lippert  www.papierstau.at
Melissa Johnson   www.melsartjournal.wordpress.com
Susan Brown  http://www.sbartist.com
Sue Carroll  http://1arthouse.wordpress.com/


Did you like this post?  Would you like to see more of these?  Using different projects as inspiration?  I'd love to hear your comments and feedback!

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Your take on Sanna's canvas is so beautiful. Love the subtle earth tones and the effect resulting from using Distress Stains. I need to try that crackle glaze on some lettering - that is so FABULOUS!!!

Sue Carroll said...

Oh Tina...you have such a gift for putting color together and thinking outside the box:) I also love the subtle earth tones and the embellishments you chose...well, perfect. Always fun to see what you create!!

Lizzy Hill said...

AWWWW...this is a fabbo take on Sanna's canvas...love that you used distress stains, too...I'm sure she'll be THRILLED to have your canvas side by side with hers:):)

Sanna Lippert said...

i just cannot wait to get mail from you. I love, love, love this canvas!!! such a gorgeous piece of art. thank so much for sending it to me - mine is also on it's way to you :)... this way such a fun challenge - already looking forward to the next one :) hugs,Sanna

Sandra said...

Love both works of art and how lovely that you can swap.

jbonomo said...

Stunning, is all I can say! Love your take on the inspiring canvas.

melsartjournal said...

I love the way you used these colors--it's simply gorgeous!!!

7 comments:

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Your take on Sanna's canvas is so beautiful. Love the subtle earth tones and the effect resulting from using Distress Stains. I need to try that crackle glaze on some lettering - that is so FABULOUS!!!

Sue Carroll said...

Oh Tina...you have such a gift for putting color together and thinking outside the box:) I also love the subtle earth tones and the embellishments you chose...well, perfect. Always fun to see what you create!!

Lizzy Hill said...

AWWWW...this is a fabbo take on Sanna's canvas...love that you used distress stains, too...I'm sure she'll be THRILLED to have your canvas side by side with hers:):)

Sanna Lippert said...

i just cannot wait to get mail from you. I love, love, love this canvas!!! such a gorgeous piece of art. thank so much for sending it to me - mine is also on it's way to you :)... this way such a fun challenge - already looking forward to the next one :) hugs,Sanna

Sandra said...

Love both works of art and how lovely that you can swap.

jbonomo said...

Stunning, is all I can say! Love your take on the inspiring canvas.

melsartjournal said...

I love the way you used these colors--it's simply gorgeous!!!