Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July Challenge, Let Freedom Ring, My Mind's Eye + more

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

I feel like such a slacker...it's been FOREVER since I've posted any of my My Mind's Eye projects here, so I thought I better get on that.  ;)

I will start with my most current layout, created for the July Challenge, 'Let Freedom Ring' for My Mind's Eye.

Instead of creating a project sharing memories of July 4th celebrations, I pulled out some of my pictures of a trip to Philadelphia where my family and I where we visited the very sites where our Nation’s history began.  I thought these images reflected the July theme perfectly.



Aren’t the extra large Monogram letters to die for?  I love using these for an extra large title with lots of impact!


To keep the focus on the theme, I kept my embellishments to a minimum, just adding a few shapes, decorative tape, and twine. This is probably one of my most favorite layouts I’ve created recently.  Clean and simple.

My 2nd layout was created to highlight one of the newest collections, Necessities.  I LOVE these new mini collections.  The colors, patterns, and embellishments are amazing and super HIP!


When asked to create a layout using one of the Necessities collections, I couldn’t decide on which one to use first.  I love them all, but especially the Woods Range.

The Woods Range is organic, raw, and textural, which is SO perfect for me.  Even though this layout is super simple, you get a depth of texture and dimension, with just paper and embellishments.


And the extra large Monogram Alphas again??  Be still my heart.  When I first opened my Design Team box, they visually jumped out of the box, right into my crafty little hands.  ;)  I have been crushing on extra large titles, which makes them so perfect.  Simple, yet effective.



And don’t forget the new Decorative tapes in the Necessities collections.  They coordinate beautifully.  I wanted a bit of glitz to the organic paper, so I added a strip of the Glitter tape to the bottom of page.  Just the perfect touch of glitz.

And my last layout was created back in May.  It was an open day on the My Mind's Eye blog, and this was one of those super fast layouts that I fell in love with immediately.  Do you have those projects you create that you love right away?  This is one of those.

Sometimes, I get caught up in creating layouts that have clusters of embellishments that hide the photo or make it less visible.  Don’t’ get me wrong, I love creating clusters on my projects and it is frequently a go-to design technique, but occasionally, I want to create a layout with a more simplistic idea in mind.  (I've noticed I'm been a bit simpler in my layouts these days)


love this image of Flikka and really wanted it to shine on my layout.  Using a few strips of decorative tape, several scraps of patterned paper, and a few enamel shapes, I created a simple, yet beautiful layout.

My photo was still getting ‘lost’ on the stark, white background, so drew a loose rectangle around my image to frame it.  It was a simple technique, but very effective in design.




I purposely placed one of my alphas backwards to represent the playfulness of my dog and to add a bit of personality to my layout.

Whew...that is all!

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful week!  See ya around!

2 comments:

Brianna Lynn said...

what a great layout! i love the hand drawn square, it is the perfect touch!... and what a sweet face!

jbonomo said...

Fabulous layouts! Especially love the last one (as I am a pug owner) with all the little details that let the photo shine. Thank you for inspiring me.

2 comments:

Brianna Lynn said...

what a great layout! i love the hand drawn square, it is the perfect touch!... and what a sweet face!

jbonomo said...

Fabulous layouts! Especially love the last one (as I am a pug owner) with all the little details that let the photo shine. Thank you for inspiring me.