Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mini Canvases Easy Peasy with Hazel & Ruby

Hello and Happy Tuesday!  Last week, I shared two mini canvases, over on the Hazel & Ruby blog.
They are full of personality and color, but in a compact size!

IMG_8801

I love creating canvases.  Canvases of all sizes.  But small ones are some of my favorite types to create.  There is something about creating a little canvas that lets you focus in on what you want to create, while not be overwhelmed with so much space.  The canvases I am sharing with y’all today are only 4x4, but full of WOW!

Hearts are a great design element and can really express how you feel.  For my little canvas, I used one of the heart masks from the Everyday Words stencil-masks to express my Free Spirit.

IMG_8796

My canvas starts with a piece of gorgeous Wrap it Up paper, adhered to the canvas with a coat of Matte Medium.  (Mod Podge works as well).  Be sure and apply the matte medium to both sides of your paper for complete adhesion. This allows for the mask to be removed easily.

IMG_8781

Place the mask in the center of the canvas and apply paint.  I use Distress Paint (which is semi-transparent), so that some of the patterned paper will peek through.  Then add more depth and layers of color by adding several hues of Faber Castell Big Brush Pens, shading around the heart.  This really makes the heart POP off of the canvas.

IMG_8784

Once you are happy with your shading, outline the heart with a Stabilo pencil, wetting the line to diffuse it.  I also added several lines using black and white doodle pens.
For more interest and texture, add rub-ons, stamping, and pen work around the canvas.

IMG_8804

Don’t forget the sides and edges of your canvas.  Apply tissue paper to the sides and wrapped it up with pretty ribbon, color customized with Distress Stain and water.

This little canvas is displayed in my office as a reminder to keep my mind open and not worry about the little stuff.

My 2nd Mini Canvas was created using a similar process.  Once you have a process down, you can create endless projects!

IMG_9352

IMG_9346

Don't forget that you can find Hazel & Ruby Stencil-Masks and Pretty Paper Rolls nationwide at your local Michaels-Arts & Crafts store.  You can also find these Mini Canvases there.  What a great way to use your 40% off coupon!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

katiebug92 said...

these are gorgeous, Tina!

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

OMG Tina - these are awesome! Thank you for always inspiring me to try something different... and on the hunt for new toys :)

Kathy Adams said...

These little canvases are gems! So simple and full of inspiration to me! I want to put my creative stamp on dozens of them! Thanks for the inspiration.

3 comments:

katiebug92 said...

these are gorgeous, Tina!

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

OMG Tina - these are awesome! Thank you for always inspiring me to try something different... and on the hunt for new toys :)

Kathy Adams said...

These little canvases are gems! So simple and full of inspiration to me! I want to put my creative stamp on dozens of them! Thanks for the inspiration.