Friday, September 19, 2014

Lumi InkoDye + Hazel & Ruby Stencil-Masks are a match made in heaven!

Hello and Happy Friday!  I am up on the Hazel & Ruby blog today with an Easy Peasy project that can re-cycled and re-done!  Love that!


The lovely people over at Lumi, sent us some of their fabulous new InkoDye!  InkoDye is a photo sensitive dye that super easy to use and fail-proof.  Perfect for me!  :)

I wanted to create an easy accent piece for my Autumn home decor display, but also be able to re-cycle the project for future use.  I came up with the idea of creating muslin dyed fabric squares, wrapped around Styrofoam cones that can be re-used at a later time.

To create my dyed cones, I stretched a piece of basic muslin fabric onto a cardboard box, securing it down with straight pins.


Following the directions on the Inkodye bottle, I applied the dye to the muslin using the Inkocap Roller.  Once the dye was added to the fabric, I immediately placed several Circle Confetti stencil-masks on the fabric. (I apologize for the blurry photo.  I was cut up in the excitement of creating and snapped a quick picture with my phone).

You can see that the dye is still somewhat transparent and not activated.


I placed the project out in the sun for approx 20 minutes.  It was a very sunny day and the dye began activating almost immediately.

A quick 20 minutes later, and the dye was done.  I removed the stencil-masks and gave them a quick wash in soapy water.

Because my cardboard had ridges, I picked up some of that texture when the dye activated.  I like the randomness of the pattern.


I gave each fabric square a wash in Inkowash to stop the activation process and let them air-dry.  Now they are ready for creating!

I wrapped each square around a Styrofoam cone and adhered with straight pins.  Doing this allows me to re-use the squares for another project.


Easy Peasy!



I have a couple of future projects in mind for my dyed squares, so stay tuned for more inspiration!

Thank you for stopping by today!  Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

jbonomo said...

Cool, fun and easy project! Thank you for sharing your creativity.

1 comment:

jbonomo said...

Cool, fun and easy project! Thank you for sharing your creativity.