Monday, October 13, 2014

Dresser Up-Cycled with Hazel & Ruby

Hello and Happy Monday!  Today, I am up on the Hazel & Ruby blog with a fantastic project!  I am so excited to be able to share this with you today!

My friend Lisa, had an old dresser she found a local yard sale for only $10.  When I saw it, I knew it needed a major makeover, Hazel & Ruby style!  This was such an easy project to finish and I am completely in love with the results.



I didn't prep my surface at all.  I wanted to retain the old, vintage feel and look.  Lisa has 2 gallons of left over interior house paint, so we used it to paint our dresser.

The first step was to cover the entire dresser with the lighter color..a light grey.  I got so excited to start this project, I completely forgot to take a picture of the dresser, with drawers included...so this is the first picture capturing this step.


Dresser with base coat of paper applied.



Lisa decided on the quote she wanted to use, so we played around with the placement and font size till we were happy with the result.

Tip:  Since the stencil-masks are re-positionable, no need to put them in the 'perfect' spot until you have decided on the final placement.  Also, for placement, you can use place-holder letters if you run out.  You can see this in the words 'IN LIFE' and 'REALIZE THEY'.  


I wanted a distressed look, and I had been dying to try distressing with Vaseline...so this was the perfect time to try it out.

Before painting the top coat, apply Vaseline on the areas where the piece would naturally be worn and aged.  (corners and edges)


Apply your top coat.  We used a bluish/grey.

When painting the drawers, I removed the stencil-mask (after painting) before moving on to the next drawer.  To clean up my stencils, I put them in the sink in a shallow amount of soapy water.  The paint cleaned up with ease.


Once the top coat is completely dry, 'sand' over the areas where you applied Vaseline with steel-wool.  The Vaseline acts as a resist and the paint is removed very easiely.







Hazel & Ruby Stencil-Masks used:
Central Park
Blindside
Broadside

We added new glass knobs to finish off the make-over.  LOVE THIS!

I cannot wait to find some more furniture to up-cycle and re-do.   I am hooked!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day!

No comments:

No comments: