Monday, December 29, 2014

A new monthly series - 2015 Monthly Art Journal Planner

Hello and Happy Monday!  I hope your Christmas was Merry and you were able to spend it with family & friends.  Since 2015 is only a few days away, I thought I would announce a new monthly series on my blog.

2015 will be full of changes for me creatively.  I have cut back on several of my Design Team commitments to focus on other personal interests and creative outlets.  You will see several new monthly creative series here on my blog and I hope to share some inspiration with you.

The first new project I'd like to announce for 2015, is an Art Journal Planner.  I would like to thank Catherine Matthews-Scanlon for creating this amazing 'Planner', and each month, I will share my finished pages and how I completed the previous month's calendar.

(she has the blank Planner's available for sale in her Etsy Store HERE)

I fell in love with Catherine's designs and Art Journal coloring pages in late 2013 when I featured them in my Frog Dog Studio mixed media kit.  Coloring her pages is a stress free, creative way to express the need to create, without having to fret over what to create.

Before I assembled the Planner,  I 'created' my cover pages.  As part of the Planner kit, Catherine provides a front and back page, already designed and colored, you only need to adhere to the included chipboard sheets.  I really wanted to put my own personal touch to the cover(s), so I transformed her colored pages into black & white images (using photo editing software), and preceded to color them with Distress Paints.


And the finished cover/back pages.



To add more color to the inside of my cover/back pages, I added more Distress Paint to each.  At some point during the year, I intend to finish these pages with my own designs, doodles, and stamped images.



After my covers were finished, I followed the included instructions (when you purchase the Planner, she provides a detailed video instruction on how to assemble the set) to bind my Planner together.  In the instructional video, she shares a tip on how to 'correct' a page if your Cinch doesn't punch correctly or if you have made other mistakes.  This was a helpful tip, as when I was punching my pages, I incorrectly punched the wrong side of the page.  So I applied washi tape on the main monthly page, to both cover up my mistake, and to add a whimsical touch. :)

Included in each Planner kit, are additional Catherine original designs, so for January, I colored a couple to share.

The first page was completed by first spraying the background with several shades of Shimmerz Sprays.

I then colored the design with a combination of Memento Markers, Sakura Gelly Pens, and basic black and white pens.  To add my personal touch to each page, I embellish the design with pens, markers, and other mediums.  I also add my own doodling to the outside of the page.


My second page was completed using several shades of Shimmerz Paints, Sakura Gelly Pens, and basic black & white pens.  As before, I added my own personal touch by doodling within the design and on the outside edge.


Here's a peek at my January calendar spread, ready for my creative input.  I will the days with favorite quotes, special events, and personal memories.  I will share my finished January calendar in my next monthly post. 


I hope you enjoyed my new series and my Art Journal Planner.  I am very excited to fill it this year and it will become a keepsake that I can keep for years.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a wonderful week!

p.s. If you were inspired by my use of Shimmerz products, when you place an order, please mention my name in the 'Instructions to Merchant' section.  You will receive FREE Shimmerz product! Easy Peasy!

3 comments:

Diana Waite said...

this is just GORGEOUS!!

Theresa said...

really like the concept. will have to see how this influences my journal for 2015. thanks as always for sharing.

Catherine Matthews-Scanlon said...

Wow, what a great start! I really love how you added your own designs and really made it fit your style. Thank you, I'm so looking forward to seeing the rest of the year!

3 comments:

Diana Waite said...

this is just GORGEOUS!!

Theresa said...

really like the concept. will have to see how this influences my journal for 2015. thanks as always for sharing.

Catherine Matthews-Scanlon said...

Wow, what a great start! I really love how you added your own designs and really made it fit your style. Thank you, I'm so looking forward to seeing the rest of the year!