Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cut Your Own Stencil Week, Hazel & Ruby - Alcohol Ink Frame and Wall Words

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

This week, over on the Hazel & Ruby blog, we are sharing tips and how-to's on how to create using the Cut Your Own Stencil mask material

This product is revolutionary and the creative possibilities are endless.  It really lets you create just about anything, and the best part, it is super simple to use.

I will be sharing my tips on how to cut the stencil-mask material, using my Silhouette Cameo.  It didn't take much experimentation, and pretty much worked from the beginning.

For my first project, I thought it would be fun to create a bit of wall word decor.  I hadn't cut vinyl with my Cameo before, so I thought I would create my own 'vinyl' wall word decor, using the stencil-mask sheet.

To begin, I cut the entire sheet down, into a size large enough for my project. (for my cut, I left the plastic backing on)


Because this was going to be displayed on my wall, I wanted it to coordinate with my decor, so I spray-painted it black.  Just a couple of thin layers.


My cutting mat wasn't super sticky, so I wanted to ensure that the stencil-mask sheet didn't slip, so I taped the edges with some Artist Tape.


I typed my words in the Silhouette software, and set my machine to cut with the below settings:

Blade Depth: 4
Blade Speed: 3
Thickness: 20
Double Cut


The wonderful thing about cutting your own stencil-masks, is that you now have both a positive and negative cut.  Double the use from 1 design.




I peeled the plastic backing off of each letter, and stuck them to the wall.

(Disclaimer:  I noticed that after a couple of days, the edges of the letters were curling up.  While I wouldn't recommend this for long term display, it is perfect for a seasonal or celebration)


This is such a great way to personalize your wall words.  You can use the size, the font, and the overall design that you want.  No need to buy a pre-made, store designed sentiment.


I was having so much fun cutting my own designs, I created another wall decor project, this time, getting my art on!!


Using the same process as above, I cut these Scribble Rose Shapes,  I purchased from the Silhouette Store.

To prepare my background, I cut to size, a sheet of Media Mixage from Spellbinders. (it's light weight and can be cut with ordinary scissors)


I applied several colors of alcohol inks to the metal, allowing them to mix and blend randomly.


I placed my stencil-masks on the metal and sprayed the sheet with Krylon Brushed Metallic Spray Paint.




Once the spray paint was dry to the touch, I removed my stencil-masks and it was ready for framing.


I also hand punched a metal sentiment for the bottom of my frame.



I really love how my artsy, contemporary Wall Decor frame looks!  How cool would it be to do this on a large mirror or metal piece?  Totally cool!


Thank you for stopping by today and be sure to hop on over to the Hazel & Ruby blog for more Cut Your Own Stencil tips and projects!

1 comment:

jbonomo said...

Stunning piece! thank you for the tutorial...you make it look so easy.

1 comment:

jbonomo said...

Stunning piece! thank you for the tutorial...you make it look so easy.