Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Hazel & Ruby/Gelli Arts Week! Art Journaling with Stencil-Masks, a Gelli Plate, and Resin

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

This week, Hazel & Ruby is teaming up with Gelli Arts for Makery Team inspiration and creative ideas!  Today, I am sharing an Art Journal page, created with Hazel & Ruby Stencil-Masks, a Gelli Plate, and Amazing Crafting Product Casting Resin.


For my Art Journal page, I used a 3 x 5 Gelli Plate, and the Mixed Numbers Stencil-Masks.

I'll walk you through a short tutorial on how I created my page, so follow along!  :)

1.  Add a dollop of acrylic paint to the Gelli Plate. Spread the paint over the entire Gelli Plate, using a brayer.
(Special Note:  You need to place your Gelli Plate on a non-porous surface so the plate oils remain.  Since I am using the small plate, I place it on a large stamp block.)



2.  Place Stencil-Masks directly over the paint.  (For my background, I repeated this step, using a different grouping of numbers with each print).  Since my plate is on a stamping block, I 'stamped' the plate directly to my paper.  The printed image will show all but the areas where the numbers are. Those will appear empty on my paper.


For a different look, remove the Stencil-Masks and 'stamp' the plate to your paper.  This will pick up the areas where the numbers had previously hid.


3.  Repeat this process using different colors and numbers until happy with your printed image.

Here's what my 'finished' print looked like.


For more design, place the Stencil-Mask to your paper, removing the page on the underside.  You can see this where there is a single number above.

I use Gelli Prints for many of Art Journal pages because they create amazing, one-of-a-kind backgrounds.

4.  Before I doodled and journaled on my page, I wanted to do something different, so I applied a thin layer of Amazing Crafting Product Casting Resin over the entire page.  I love how resin looks on paper, and have been wanting to do this technique again.

I let the resin cure overnight, then proceeded with my doodling and journaling.   Keeping with the number theme, I placed my Stencil-Masks over the page.  (They stick wonderfully to the resin).  Did you know you can add a border around your paint area by using the outside edge of your Hazel & Ruby Stencil-Mask packaging?  I used it here, (cut to size) for a border around  my numbers.


 I wanted another thicker border, so I also added Artist tape.  To finish off the number theme, I randomly placed more number Stencil-Masks around the outer edge.


5.  Paint in each section with acrylic paint, remove the Stencil-Masks and let dry.  Once the paint was dry, I added doodles and words to my page, using Gelly Roll Pens and white and black pens. (Yes, the pens worked on the resin - I was actually surprised)





I really love how the pops of pattern and color peek through my doodles and stenciled designs.  And with the added feel of smooth resin, it really makes for a unique Art Journal page!

I hope you enjoyed my project today and were inspired to create!  Be sure and hop on over to the Hazel & Ruby blog for more Makery Team inspiration!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Annette Allen said...

so awesome Tina..

Diana Waite said...

feel like I always say this--WOW, seriously AMAZING!

2 comments:

Annette Allen said...

so awesome Tina..

Diana Waite said...

feel like I always say this--WOW, seriously AMAZING!