Friday, March 13, 2015

DIY Decor Tape Color Me Floral Wall Art

Hello and Happy Friday the 13th!  No bad luck here, only Mixed Media Fun!  :)

Today, I am up on the Hazel & Ruby blog, with my project inspiration for Flower Week!


Have you seen the new DIY Decor Tape from Hazel & Ruby?  If not, you really should check out this incredibly trending, hip, and super cool product!  It's basically GIANT washi tape that can be used on all types of DIY projects.

Today, I am using the Color Me Floral 12" tape to create this handmade, unique, and super easy wood canvas.


In 5 easy steps you can create your own Floral masterpiece! 

Step One:
Apply DIY Decor Tape to wood canvas.  I am using a 10x10 canvas.  I did not prep my background with gesso or sealant, as I wanted the natural color of the wood to show through the semi-transparent tape.
Because the tape is adhesive, no need to add glue or mod podge to adhere it to the canvas.
Trim off the excess with a X-acto knife (or wrap around the sides like a present).



Step Two:
Because the DIY Decor Tape has a slick, shiny surface, normal watercolors and acrylic paints will not stick to the surface, I applied a thin layer of clear gesso to prep my surface.  (Sharpies and alcohol based markers will stick to the surface without adding gesso)


Step Three:
Paint.  I used several shades of Shimmerz Inklingz to create my canvas.  I really love the look of metallics and golds.


Step Four:
I wanted a bit of definition to my flowers, so I outlined the entire canvas with a white pen.  I think this really adds to the artsy feel.  Once I was done outlining the flowers, I painted the edge of the canvas with acrylic paint for a finished look.



Step Five:
Enjoy!




I love creating projects that are quick, easy, and are fun!  Can't draw?  No problem with Color Me Floral DIY Decor Tape!

1 comment:

Kimberly Kett said...

This is such a cool technique, LOVE IT!

1 comment:

Kimberly Kett said...

This is such a cool technique, LOVE IT!