Thursday, April 16, 2015

Wooden Pallet Mantra Sign

Hi...

Happy Thursday!

I am LOVIN' my project today and I hope you do too!  Today, I am sharing a fun post with my lovely friends from the Hazel & Ruby Makery Team.  We were challenged to create with a wooden pallet and here's what we created!



 Using a re-cycled wooden pallet, I created a Home Decor Mantra sign, as a reminder to live in the moment and not be attached to my phone, social media, and technology.  :)


Before I share more details about my project, I have to first let you know about working with pallets.  They suck!  (hee-hee)

Pallets are a royal pain in the butt to get apart and after about an hour or so, I only managed to removed 3 planks from my pallet and gave up.  I used a crowbar and my pure strength (ha!), but it just wasn't enough.  Only 1 plank was 'in tact', so I used it for another project you'll see coming in May.

Embracing imperfection, I went with my broken and splintered pieces to create my Mantra sign.

Once I removed the plank from my pallet, I gave my piece a quick sand.  Not sure fine or detailed, just enough to get rid of the rough edges.

I then sprayed the entire piece with white spray paint, not too concerned with complete coverage.  I knew I would be sanding some of it off.



Once the white was dry, I added my Broadside Alpha stencil-masks to my piece, then sprayed it with a blue spray paint.  Using spray paint with the stencil-masks is my favorite application technique.  You get clean, crisp lines with little dry time.  

Once the spray paint had dried, I removed the stencil-masks.  If I use basic acrylic paint with my stencil-masks, I remove them right away and clean them up immediately.  With spray paint, I keep them on till the paint is dry and leave them 'un-cleaned'.  They still work fabulously.


I wanted lots of aging and distressing, so I sanded over the painted surface both with and against the grain.  Love how it looks.  

To finish it off, I applied Distress Stain over the entire piece for more aging and weathering.  It also toned down the bright white.



It is now proudly displayed in my front foyer area as a daily reminder to BE HERE NOW!

Be sure and check out the Hazel & Ruby blog to see what the rest of the Makery Team created!  Amazing projects!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful weekend!


2 comments:

Katie smith said...

This is gorgeous, Tina!! I really love the distressed/broken pallet look, and your mantra.

Lindsay Eidahl said...

I love this. My favorite part is that it isn't perfectly straight. It has so much character!

2 comments:

Katie smith said...

This is gorgeous, Tina!! I really love the distressed/broken pallet look, and your mantra.

Lindsay Eidahl said...

I love this. My favorite part is that it isn't perfectly straight. It has so much character!