Thursday, June 25, 2015

Up-Cycled Window Frame, Let the Sun Shine In!

Hi...
Happy Thursday!

Today, I am up on the Hazel & Ruby blog with an Up-Cycled Old Window Frame project.

Do you love to go Junk shopping?  I DO!  Pennsylvania is FULL of vintage and antique stores and one of my favorite items I junk for, is old window frames!  

I don't know why I love chipped, worn, and cracked windows, but I have a closet full of my purchases.  Perhaps I wonder about who has looked out of the window and what dreams and wishes they hoped for.

Here's a picture of my vintage window frame, after a quick wash.

  

I love the chippy and worn paint, but I really wanted to brighten up the look, so I painted the entire frame with a fresh coat of chalk paint.  Once the paint was dry, I sanded in random spots to acheive a 'new-old' look.  (Ha - I just made a new word)

To create my 'Sun' sign, I took the chalkboard that is included in the Hazel & Ruby Chalk Art Tool kit and drilled 3 holes.  2 holes at the top to hang, and 1 at the bottom for my key holder.

Next, I cut an image with the 'Cut Your Own Stencil' material and adhered it to the chalkboard.  
If you have never tried the 'Cut Your Own Stencil' material, you MUST!  I love this stuff!  It has so many uses and I find myself reaching for it time and time again.


I wanted a 'chalky' look to the chalkboard, (Ha!), so I used a chunky chalk marker to paint the board white.  Once the paint was dry, I removed the stencil-mask and viola - done!

I wanted to continue the vintage, worn feel with the chalkboard, so I sanded the edges and over the painted surface.  Perfect!

 
I wanted a little more POP to the board, so I applied dimensional paint to the image and let dry. 


 To hang the chalkboard from my window frame, I added a knob to the top.  Easy Peasy!



My up-cycled window frame now proudly hangs on my back porch!  I love it!

Thank you for stopping by today!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

Diana Waite said...

VERY cool--I LOVE it!

1 comment:

Diana Waite said...

VERY cool--I LOVE it!