Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Encaustic Art Journal Cover, Handmade Week at Hazel & Ruby

Hi...
Happy Wednesday!

This week, Hazel & Ruby is hopping with the UmWow Studio Creative Team for 'Frame It Up' week.  We are combining the popular Stencil-Masks, DIY Decor Tape, and Project Papers from Hazel & Ruby, with exclusive chipboard frames from UmWow Studio.

Today, is my day to share my project, and I created a Encaustic cover for an Art Journal book, using one of my favorite Hazel & Ruby papers, 'Pass The Tissue, Lace is the Place'. I love the subtle texture and resist naturally embedded in the tissue design.


I started my cover with a store bought chip cover from a pad of my favorite mixed media paper.  The pad was empty and used, but I kept the front/back cover for a future project and this was perfect for that project.  I deconstructed the book, removing the binding and set aside.




I covered the cover(s) with a sloppy layer of gesso and let try.  I then adhered the crinkled 'Pass the Tissue' paper to both covers with Matte Medium and let dry.  



For a splash of color, I sprayed several shades of Shimmerz Sprays to both covers, letting the colors mix and inter-twine.

 


To prep my UmWow Studio chipboard pieces, I sprayed each with Spray Gesso and let dry.  
(All alphas, flowers, butterflies, and grid 'fence' are chipboard chip, including the large chip frame)

Once dry, I sprayed the chip pieces with the same Shimmerz sprays and adhered to the cover, in and around the large chipboard frame.




Once all pieces were in place and secure, I covered the entire cover in wax, allowing it to pool around the chip, creating amazing texture and depth.  Using wax is a favorite technique and it really changes and enhances this type of project.  


I repeated the wax treatment to the back cover.





Once the wax had cooled, I added hints of Inka Gold to the edges of the chip and cover.  Just the right amount of glitz!

I reassembled the book and it is now ready to store all of my completed Art Journal pages!  I love how it turned out!



Want more inspiration?  Be sure to stop by the Hazel & Ruby blog each day this week for more Makery Team projects and the UmWow Studio blog for projects from their Creative Team.

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful week!

 

4 comments:

Mary Holshouser said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the detailed instruction on making the album cover.
I'll be using them in the future.

Sheri said...

So cool! love the texture of the paper

sharon g said...

Oh, so it's chipboard….I couldn't figure out what you used. Nice techniques. I have an older friend in my garden club who does encaustics. She's very artsy, and I love what she makes, too. Nice job.

Ruth said...

Wow! Such a beautiful cover. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I am definitely going to give some of the techniques a try!

4 comments:

Mary Holshouser said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the detailed instruction on making the album cover.
I'll be using them in the future.

Sheri said...

So cool! love the texture of the paper

sharon g said...

Oh, so it's chipboard….I couldn't figure out what you used. Nice techniques. I have an older friend in my garden club who does encaustics. She's very artsy, and I love what she makes, too. Nice job.

Ruth said...

Wow! Such a beautiful cover. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I am definitely going to give some of the techniques a try!