Tuesday, July 21, 2015

'Found' Fabric Mini Book

Hi...
Happy Tuesday!

As promised, today, I am sharing my 'Found' Fabric Mini Book I have been working on for the past week.  My inspiration came from a Book Making Retreat I attended a month ago and since I've been back home, I've been wanted to use some of the techniques taught at the retreat on a new project.  (Thank you to our wonderful teachers Roxanne Evans Stout and Leslie Marsh)


I gathered several found objects, purchased findings, and various fabrics and papers and began.

But first, I had to decide what type of fabric book and binding I wanted, so I searched YouTube for some ideas.  I ran across this wonderful tutorial on how to create a 'pamphlet' style book, (which looks super easy), so that is was!

I started my pages by pulling out different fabrics, findings, and objects until they 'clicked'.  Little bits, layers, and stitching were a must, so I tried to add these to each page.




 

I also wanted several 'paper' inserts, so I rust dyed a large sheet of watercolor paper, and cut to size.  I also created a sheet of Shimmerz Paints colored Rice paper, which was adhered to the inside of each insert.  Love the color!
I added more fabrics, findings, and objects for a cohesive look.





I attached the inserts to my fabric book using 5 holes and ribbon.  Super easy and super quick.

As I was adding elements to each page, I tried to work on the opposite as well, keeping in mind stitch holes and placement.  I tried to hide the stitches where I didn't want them shown. Or incorporated them into the design like the below page shows.








And several more close-ups of each page....











I couldn't forget the front and back covers...so I embellished them as well.




The entire book is held together with 2 toggle latches and ribbon!  Easy, beautiful, and functional!




I hope you enjoyed my fabric mini book!  I really enjoyed creating it and I am sure you will see more of these types of projects from me in the future!

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a great day!

3 comments:

rivergardenstudio said...

Tina!! I just love this. So sweet and beautiful...
roxanne

The Junque Seeker said...

I so enjoyed looking at your mini book. So many interesting bits, and you put them together so beautifully!

Hastypearl said...

I can see, you And Leslie And Roxanne in this book! A beautiful marriage :) Still tiptoeing :) Laura

3 comments:

rivergardenstudio said...

Tina!! I just love this. So sweet and beautiful...
roxanne

The Junque Seeker said...

I so enjoyed looking at your mini book. So many interesting bits, and you put them together so beautifully!

Hastypearl said...

I can see, you And Leslie And Roxanne in this book! A beautiful marriage :) Still tiptoeing :) Laura