Friday, September 4, 2015

Artist Collaboration, Paper Mache Animals

Hi...

Happy Friday!

 Today, I am getting together with several of my creative friends to share my latest art collaboration project.  We were challenged to create a paper mache animal, using any art medium, technique, or design.  We could use either purchased blank paper mache animals, or make our own.  I wasn't so sure about my paper mache animal creating ability, so I purchased a rhino from mbare.com, a store that specializes in local (as in from Senegal) artist creations.  I thought it would fun to build upon the already cool rhino base.

 Before I get to my project, here's a peek at all of the amazing projects created by the collab group.



And my finished rhino!


 After I decided on what animal, I wasn't sure how I wanted to embellishment my rhino.  Several ideas rolled around my head before I settled on a metallic patchwork design. 

I started by covering the entire piece with a thin layer of gesso.  Before I worked on the patchwork body, I painted the head, feet, tail, horn, and ears.  








To create the patchwork body, I dry embossed several sheets of Ranger Adhesive Foil Tape sheets.  Once they were embossed, I cut them into randomly shaped sections.

I colored the sections with multiple colors of Alcohol Ink.


 


To complete the patchwork look. I machine stitched the sections together, then adhered them to the rhino. To make them more secure, I also used  Weld Bond to ensure the foil would stay put.






I took a bit to get all of the foil sections adhered, especially around the legs and ears, but it was so worth it!  I totally love how it turned out.  It's nice when the idea you have in your head, works out as you envision.  :)

I am also sharing my sister's Paper Mache creations.  (she doesn't have a blog)

Her name is Tracy Krueger and here's what she created!
  




I am seriously lovin' her camel!  Adorbs!

Want more inspiration?  Check out the other artist creations!

 Laura Mooney

Michele Kosciolek

Christy Strickler 

Albion Gould

DeeDee Catron

Melissa Johnson 

Mitra Lee 

Susan Brown
 

We are always doing artist collaborations.  Just watch for my Facebook posts for the latest idea!  

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

by belle said...

Tina! Your rhino, OMG!! Love it! and Tracy's animals are awesome too!! Great collab!

Moongirl said...

Oh, Dahling, she is just fabulous! Love love love the metallic patchwork.

Christy Strickler said...

Tina, Your Rhino is so cute! I really loved Tracy's cat!

Mitra Pratt said...

OMG, I love that foil tape "coat" you sewed together! Super amazing! Such workmanship! Or should I say workladyship? Anyhow, your creation is AWESOME! Huge thanks for getting this challenge up, I had loads of fun!

4 comments:

by belle said...

Tina! Your rhino, OMG!! Love it! and Tracy's animals are awesome too!! Great collab!

Moongirl said...

Oh, Dahling, she is just fabulous! Love love love the metallic patchwork.

Christy Strickler said...

Tina, Your Rhino is so cute! I really loved Tracy's cat!

Mitra Pratt said...

OMG, I love that foil tape "coat" you sewed together! Super amazing! Such workmanship! Or should I say workladyship? Anyhow, your creation is AWESOME! Huge thanks for getting this challenge up, I had loads of fun!