Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Weekend Create Time - Bloom Girl Doll Workshop and Encaustic Art

Hi...

Happy Wednesday! 

This past weekend, I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't go anywhere, or do anything, except create!  What a dream come true!

I was so lazy, I didn't even shower on Saturday.  (did I just admit that?)

I created a multitude of projects, some I can't share until later.  But I was able to complete a couple that I can share today!

First, I'd like to share my finished Bloom Girl from Jaime Doughtery's Workshop.  I have never created with clay in this way, so it was really stretching my creative abilities.   

Her instructions made the project (and creating) easy and fun.  I must admit, my girl still has a bit of 'alien-ish' to her, but I love her just the same.  I learned the basics of how to create clay dolls, from structure to form.

Here she is!

 



I wanted a vintage vibe to her clothes, so I hand stitched a dress form vintage quilt fabric and gauze like fabric.  




I even gave her a lace ribbon shawl.  

I had never worked with wool roving before, but I really love the instant texture it creates for the hair.  Form and glue!  Easy Peasy!




I struggled a bit with the forming of her facial features, but at least still looks 1/2 human.  ;)


I also experimented with encaustics this weekend.  My wax experience has been limited to basic wax coverage over a canvas, etc.  I had never used encaustics to 'paint', nor use multiple colors or 'gauging' techniques.

I am hooked!  I actually like working with encaustics more than acrylic paints.  I love the texture and subtle color.

 





There's a lot of learning 'mistakes' in this canvas, but that is what makes creating fun!  Learn and create!  You will definitely see more encaustics from me in the future.  Off I go to take some on-line courses and perhaps an in-person one too!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful Wednesday!

No comments:

No comments: