Thursday, January 5, 2017

Inspired by Iceland Challenge

Hi...

Happy Thursday and welcome to 2017!

Last year was full of artist collaborations and creative sharing and fun.  A few months back, I began a challenge 'of sorts', with the theme of being inspired by Iceland.  I leave for my Iceland trip next month, I wanted to see the many ways my friends interpreted Iceland and its beautiful colors, scenery, and landscapes.

For my project, I wanted to replicate the Northern Lights, so I created a wood canvas painting inspired by the rocky formations and the stunning colors of the lights.


The 'rock' texture was created with a resin mold I made using actual rocks as the impression.  When creating resin casts, I often have leftover resin, so I used my rock mold for the 'extra resin'.  
(my mold putty and resin of choice comes from Amazing Casting Products.)

The other texture comes from Faber Castell.  Its Glass Bead Glitter Gel. It looks fabulous, doesn't it?

I sprayed the entire piece with my favorite Lindy's Stamp Gang mist, Screamin' Banshee Black.


Once it was dry, I painted several translucent colors of Golden Paints to replicate the Northern Lights look.  I didn't turn out exactly how I envisioned, but it is close enough.  :)


  
I hope that during my trip next month, I get lucky enough to see the lights IRL.  How cool will that be?

Don't stop reading just yet!  Want to see how others were inspired by our Iceland Challenge?  

Check this out!
   

6 comments:

Christy Strickler said...

This is beautiful! I adore all of the texture! When I see it, I can hear the sound of water trickling over tiny pebbles...kind of like an ice melt.

Divya N said...

I think its great and captures the beauty of the northern lights beautifully

Sanna Lippert said...

I really like this alot! And this challenge was so much fun, Tina! I am so glad I joined it! Thanks for always inspiring and pushing us to try out new things :)!!

kristie said...

This is so pretty!! And real rocks?? Gotta try that !

kristie said...

This is so pretty!! And real rocks?? Gotta try that !

by belle said...

A beautiful piece! I love all the testure and those colors are amazing!

6 comments:

Christy Strickler said...

This is beautiful! I adore all of the texture! When I see it, I can hear the sound of water trickling over tiny pebbles...kind of like an ice melt.

Divya N said...

I think its great and captures the beauty of the northern lights beautifully

Sanna Lippert said...

I really like this alot! And this challenge was so much fun, Tina! I am so glad I joined it! Thanks for always inspiring and pushing us to try out new things :)!!

kristie said...

This is so pretty!! And real rocks?? Gotta try that !

kristie said...

This is so pretty!! And real rocks?? Gotta try that !

by belle said...

A beautiful piece! I love all the testure and those colors are amazing!