Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Sustainable Souls Project March 2017

Hi...

and Hello March.  Today, we go live with Month Three of The Sustainable Souls project.


 The Sustainable Souls Project evolved from my yearly discovery of a single word.  Each year, I choose a word to define my hopes, focus, and desires for the next 365 days.  Past words have included: home, explore, be, and others.  

This year, I chose the word, 'Sustainability'.  Because the earth is in dire need of help and I want to leave a legacy for my children and their children to inherit, I thought it was time to focus on issues of Sustainability.

But I wanted to make 2017 different.  I wanted to include others in my word, since Sustainability cannot be done alone.  Yes, every small action helps, but it's the combination of hundreds of small acts that make a difference.  Hence, The Sustainable Souls Project.

Each month, we will pick a sustainability topic and create awareness through art.  Projects may include art journaling, mixed media, assemblage, and more.  We are hoping to educate, entertain, and create awareness, one paint stroke at a time.

March's theme is 'Sea Level Rise-Melting Polar Ice Caps'. 
Excerpts from this article include: "The polar ice caps have melted faster in last 20 years than in the last 10,000.  The polar regions are important drivers of the world's climate. When the "everlasting ice" melts at an increasing rate, the rest of the world is affected. Global sea levels are rising, dark meltwater pools absorb warmth from the sun which white ice would reflect back into space. Fresh water flows into the sea, changing ocean currents and the living conditions for marine organisms."
Scientists say that the melting trend is part of overall global warming that is caused by burning coal, gas and oil. The burning of fossil fuels traps gases that cause the Earth's temperature to increase.

Between 1906 and 2005, the average temperature at the Earth's surface increased by about three-fourths of a degree Celsius. For the last half of the period, warming occurred at nearly twice the rate of the first half of the period. NASA estimates that the years between 2005 and 2010 were the warmest since temperatures have been reliably measured in the late 1800s.

Temperatures appear to have been mostly stable for up to 2,000 years prior to 1850 despite some regional variations. The increase in sea levels is consistent with data showing rising temperatures at the surface of the Earth. The Earth's oceans also show an increased temperature due to the overall warming.


The inspiration for my project this month, is what scientists call the 'tipping point'.  The effects of the melting ice are triggering several tipping points located around the world.  The actions of the melting ice trigger many other cataclysmic actions which may be difficult to recover from.  


Before we proceed, I have to say that this is probably one of my most favorite projects I've ever created!  The meaning and feeling I was trying to portray is especially special and my hands created what my heart felt.


 
 
 The little ocean tubes were created with Amazing Casting resin and Apoxy Sculpt.  

In addition to my main art piece each month, I am creating a smaller piece that will be combined with 11 others to create ONE large piece.  Here's a peek at my March contribution.




Want to do more?  Want to be a Sustainable Soul?  Want to create with us each month?  Send me a message and I'll provide more details.

Here's a peek at what the other Sustainable Souls created this month. 


Interested in my past Sustainable Souls projects?  Here's link to each.

January 2017 

February 2017
 
If you can't create with us each month but would like to support and participate in our quest for a Sustainable future, please feel free to grab our badge and share it on your social media sites.  We truly appreciate your support and understanding that our future must change for many generations to come.


I'll leave you with a short video that briefly explains the issue of melting ice-sheets and what will happen to the planet if it continues.



1 comment:

Hastypearl said...

Great March posting, Tina, and great job on leading us, even after you had such a significant travel month! Looking forward...Laura

1 comment:

Hastypearl said...

Great March posting, Tina, and great job on leading us, even after you had such a significant travel month! Looking forward...Laura